HISTORY OF BURKHEAD UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
In 1887 a Sunday School class being conducted in the old Union Chapel on North Liberty Street by a member of Centenary became the seed from which Burkhead United Methodist Church was ultimately born. Centenary Methodist Church provided the seed for every Methodist Church from 1884 to 1930 and wanted to start a new church in North Winston so they organized the class in 1886 as the Mission Grove Methodist Mission. A year later 22 charter members “coming by certificate” from Centenary organized a new church and named it Burkhead Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
The church was named in honor of Dr. Lingurn Skidmore Burkhead who was minister at Centenary in December 1886. Dr. Burkhead may have been the moving force behind the new church, hence the name, but he was to serve Centenary for only a year, dying suddenly in December 1887 while attending Annual Conference in Fayetteville.
The first church building located at 1012 North Liberty Street was dedicated in September 1888.The original building was enlarged in 1919 even while plans to build a new sanctuary were being made. Consolidation in April 1920 with Liberty Methodist Episcopal Church, South created even more growth and the new church building was begun.
The new sanctuary was dedicated in May 1923. In the 35 years the church served the community from that location, Burkhead had 14 ministers and grew from its chartered membership of 22 to over 700.
After the church was paid for in 1923, Burkhead became directly involved in helping other churches get started, specifically Hiatt and Ogburn Memorial. They were also later credited with helping Maple Spring UMC’s building program.
The 1950’s saw a major change in Winston-Salem when several of the downtown churches decided to move to the “suburbs” and Burkhead moved to Silas Creek Parkway. Fred W. Butner, Jr., a major Winston-Salem architect and Burkhead member, was chosen as the architect of the new facility. On December 12, 1965 Burkhead members began worshiping in their new location on Silas Creek Parkway in what is now the Fellowship Hall. The current sanctuary was built in 1978-79 with the first service held August 5, 1979.
The move to its present location also coordinated with the church changing its name from Burkhead Methodist Episcopal Church, South to Burkhead United Methodist Church.
Burkhead celebrated its centennial in November 1986.
This has been a reciting of dates and places, but not the people who helped build Burkhead. From the 22 charter members in 1887 to the current day, loving Christians have sat in Burkhead’s pews, reaching out to fellow Christians, locally and world-wide. During the years since its move to the current location, there have been many programs, schools, and special events taking place within its walls, and Burkhead has always changed to meet the needs of its members and community. So, in effect, its history is not finished…
Burkhead United Methodist Church Ministers
Rev. C.W. Robinson 1887-1888
Rev. Ira Erwin 1888-1892
Rev. Jacob Robert Moose 1892-1894
Rev. S. D. Stamey 1894-1896
Rev. G.W. Callahan 1896-1898
Rev. William Wilson 1898-1900
Rev. Harold Turner 1900-1904
Rev. T. W. Watts 1904-1905
Rev. E. E. Williamson 1905-1908
Rev. W. A. Biles 1908-1911
Rev. W. L. Hutchens 1911-1915
Rev. G. C. Brinnaman 1915-1916
Rev. J. E. Thompson 1916-1918
Rev. J. S. Hiatt 1918-1924
Rev. J. W. Williams 1924-1927
Rev. C. M. Short 1927-1929
Rev. J. F. Moser 1929-1932
Rev. G. A. Stamper 1932-1936
Rev. W. B. Davis 1926-1938
Rev. W. M. Smith 1928-1942
Rev. Reid Wall 1942-1946
Rev. J. Elwood Carroll 1946-1948
Rev. Mark Q. Tuttle 1948-1953
Rev. J. Ernest Yountz 1953-1958
Rev. Aubert M. Smith 1958-1961
Rev. Lee P. Barnett 1961-1965
Rev. Dr. Russell T. Montfort 1965-1970
Rev. Donald W. Haynes 1970-1973
Rev. L. Donald Ellis 1973-1977
Rev. Robert L. Moore 1977-1981
Rev. Carlton G. Alspaugh, Jr. 1981-1984
Rev. Dr. Kenneth M. Johnson 1984-1988
Rev. Charles L. Adams 1988-1992
Rev. Robert M. Smith, Jr. 1992-1996
Rev. Mark Barden 1996-2000
Rev. Kathie Clonz Sherrill 2000-2012
Rev. Dr. Susan Pillsbury Taylor 2012-2015
Rev. Elizabeth Graves 2015-2017
Rev. Dr. Carl L. Manuel, Jr. 2017-2020
Rev. Julie O’Neal 2020-present
Rev. Reginald J. Cooke 1962-1965
Rev. Ralph Eanes 1965-1970
Rev. Larry L. Kimel 1970-1971
Rev. Van Bullock 1971
Rev. Jim Bob Reeves 1972-1974
Rev. Janice Johnson 1974-1975
Rev. Carl Johnson 1974-1980
Rev. J. Robert Nations, Jr. 1980-1982
Rev. Mark W. Jordan 1982-1986, Director of Music
Rev. Karen Miller 1986-1989
DIRECTOR OF CHRISTIAN EDUCATION
Mrs. Barbara Barden 1990-1992
Mrs. Pat Shouns 1992-1996
Rev. Barbara Barden 1996-2000